Saturday, September 25, 2010

Week 4: SQL


I have heard that learning SQL is easy and I have seen it posted when searching for jobs in the computer field. Many times they place all of these acronyms that seem as if they are so complicated to understand. Well since I’ve seen so much of SQL I thought that it would be something interesting to learn.

SQL(Structured Query Language) is a language for describing and operating on relational databases. A relational database is a database that is capable of representing relationships between different sets of data. For example if  a database has a customer with different addresses  or a single address is used for more than one customer the features of SQL will handle it. SQL will control or manipulate the database.
The database will consist of rows and columns. The column will represent all like items. Rows will contain specific information. Columns will be fields and rows will be sometimes called records. CRUD stands for create, read, update, delete. These are the basic for functions of a database application.

To begin my learning experience with SQL I first had to install a testing environment called XAMPP. This was a personal database not a world wide one. Then I had to install my exercise files so that I could follow along with the exercises and take tests.
Once I completed all of the downloads I was ready to begin learning how to work with SQL.


No comments:

Post a Comment