Sunday, September 19, 2010

Week 4: Fundamentals of Web Design AJAX, SQL, Certificate of Completion

Viewing the tutorial The Fundamentals of Web Design on Lynda.com has increased my knowledge of the various technological terms. A couple of new terms I would like to share are AJAX and SQL. I have seen those acronyms many times and have always wondered what they are.

AJAX. No it's not the all purpose cleaner that comes in handy when a scrubbing solution is needed, and relatively inexpensive. In technical terms AJAX stands for Asynchronous JavaScript and XML, a technique used in web application development. It is a specific approach in web development that focuses on building engaging user experiences.

So what about SQL? Lately I've been noticing that acronym appear in all of the technology job postings. SQL stands for Structured Query Language. SQL is a standard language used to access data in Database Management Systems. Almost all databases implement the standard version of SQL, making it portable across database management systems.

The tutorial was quite interesting. Each day I viewed it I learned something new.  Lynda.com provides great tutorials on web designing. Once I viewed the Fundamentals of Web Design it really got me into viewing other tutorials. I am very interested in learning the Adobe Flash, Illustrator, and Dreamweaver programs. The hard part is just finding the time to do it all. I suppose I will replace my one favorite TV show with viewing tutorials at Lynda.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment